Sunday, September 20, 2009

Anniversary Menu





Recently my friend brought me a couple of her old Food and Wine magazines. Holy hannah those things had good recipes in them. Immediately I went through and starred some of the recipes that I knew I needed to try. For our anniversary on Friday night, we decided to give a couple new recipes a go. We had a blast making them. Spencer and I both love to cook and enjoy a good excuse to try new recipes. Here was the menu and the recipes for them are hyperlinked.

Homemade Gnocchi with creamy tomato sauce
Steamed asparagus with lemon and pepper
Salad de Maison
Lemon-Blueberry Cheesecake Parfaits

*My notes
Gnocchi-Use normal, smaller size potatoes for the Gnocchi. We used really large baking potatoes and the ratio of flour and egg to potatoes was off. We cooked the first batch and they were little soggy clumps of mashed potatoes. After adding some more egg and flour to the rest of the dough, they came out perfect.

Creamy tomato sauce-the picture for this recipe was less than appetizing, but the reviews were all really good. We gave it a shot and both declared it to be a winner. Ours looked a lot more appetizing than the recipe picture. I wish a would have taken a picture. Also, it says to simmer for 45-50 minutes. We both agreed that the full 50 minutes would not be necessary. 30 min. would be plenty to have a flavorful sauce.

Lemon-Blueberry Cheesecake Parfaits- These were really good, but took a whole lot of time to make. Spencer did most of the work for these while I was at school. While I think you could take some shortcuts (store bought shortbread cookies or blueberry pie filling) the result would not be as good. The orange zest added the perfect hint of citrus that you would not get with store bought cookies and the compote was not as sweet as pie filling. Probably something I would only make for a really special occasion because of all of the time it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment