Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lamb Keema with Potatoes and Peas


Spencer and I both loved this recipe. It has a delicious Indian flavor and the ground lamb is just perfect. I am not usually a ground meat person, but the flavor of this was very worth it. I was also surprised that Smith's(local Utah supermarket) carries ground lamb. I thought I was going to have to search for it. I was also able to buy the garam masala in the bulk spice section, which was nice. I hate buying huge amounts of spices when I know I won't use them before they go bad.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small serrano chile, minced
About 1 tsp. salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup frozen peas
Hot cooked rice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes. Add garlic, chile, 1 tsp. salt, and the spices; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomato paste.
2. Add lamb and cook, breaking up large chunks of meat, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, yogurt, and milk to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat until mixture is simmering vigorously, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
3. Stir in peas and cook 5 minutes longer, until peas are cooked through and mixture has thickened. Serve over rice with cilantro sprinkled on each serving. Add more salt to taste if you like.

via Sunset Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment