Sunday, November 1, 2009

Summer Squash, Goat Cheese, and Walnut Pizza


INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 garlic clove, minced
All-purpose flour, for dusting
6 ounces pizza dough
Pinch of crushed red pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded part-skim-milk mozzarella
1 teaspoon chopped summer savory
1/4 pound summer squash, thinly sliced on a mandoline
2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts


DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 500°. Preheat a pizza stone. In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the minced garlic and let stand. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to form a 12-inch round, 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the round to a lightly floured pizza peel.
Leaving a 1/2-inch border of dough, brush the round with the garlic oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper. Scatter the onion slices over the round; top with the mozzarella and savory. Arrange the squash slices on top in a single layer, overlapping them slightly. Dot with the crumbled goat cheese.
Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake for about 5 minutes, until the bottom is crisp and the squash is slightly browned. Transfer the pizza to a work surface. Sprinkle with the walnuts and drizzle with olive oil. Cut into wedges and serve.

*This recipe is from Food and Wine Magazine

My Notes

I make my own whole wheat pizza dough. I'll post that recipe next. I divided my pizza dough in half and made 2 pizzas. I split this recipe's toppings between the two pizzas and it turned out great. As for the toppings themselves, I used dried savory and used about and 1/8 tsp. per pizza. I do not own a mandoline, so I just sliced the squash thinly. And the goat cheese I bought from Trader Joe's was coated in herbs and ended up tasting incredible with the pizza. I'm sure that just plain goat cheese would be fine, but I think I'll make a point to buy the herbed stuff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment