Friday, August 21, 2009

Chicken Souvlaki



This recipe was delicious. If you like tzatziki, the combination of the cucumbers, dill, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil is essentially just unmixed tzatziki. The whole thing was so simple to make and tasted so good. If the chicken was grilled ahead of time, it would be the ultimate of a simple meal for a weeknight.

* I altered this just a little to work with things I had. I only made a 3rd of the dressing (I was cooking only for me). I used chicken I had grilled rather than a rotisserie chicken. I left out the onion but added tomato instead. And last but not least, I didn't use fresh dill. I wish I had fresh dill in my garden, but I don't. I just wasn't willing to go to the store for it.


Chicken and Dill Souvlaki
Ingredients

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and pepper
1 2 1/2- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat sliced
2 Kirby cucumbers, sliced into thin half-moons
1/2 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
4 flat breads
1/2 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
Directions

In a large bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fold in the chicken, cucumbers, onion, and dill. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the flat breads and serve with the yogurt.


* this recipe is from this Real Simple Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment